Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Color Run


I have found my next race, The Color Run.  With my leg being so messed up I have not done a race since my TRI back in 2010, WOW has it really been that long?  After having my daughter last year, I did start to train for the Kansas City Half but my leg got hurt again on my 10mile run so I ended up back at ground 0 again.  And that is where I am at now. 

This time around I decided that I would NOT sign up for a race and I would not train for a race.  So that I can build up slow and get a good base so that I don't hurt my leg again.  This race however just looks like way to much fun, and it is only a 5k and 4 months away so I am pretty sure I can swing this without getting hurt.

I am also really thinking about doing this race with my oldest daughter.  She will just be a couple weeks shy of 5 for this race.  I think she would have a blast getting sprayed with paint, but not sure she will have a blast doing a 5k.  She loves to run, but only short distances.  We go out for walks all the time and she always wants to race, but only for a short time. 

I asked her if she wanted to do this race and she said yes so if I do decide to sign her up, I think we will have to go on some 3 mile walks and see how she does.  During this race you get sprayed by pant every 1k so we will break it down by 1k then 1k and so on.  That should make it more fun for her and keep her motivated I think.  We will also walk most of this, unless she chooses to run.

Do you think 5 is an okay age to do a 5k?  Am I pushing her too much to even try to do this race with her?
Photobucket

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am doing this race in MN...On July 15th...looks like crazy fun!

jaacs said...

I'm going to do this race with both my daughters, ages 4 and 6. It is not a timed race and usually quite crowded and people expect to go slow. I think you should do it. :)

jaacs said...

If this helps...this was on their FAQs page:

Is there an age limit for younger runners?

No age limits :) If they can cover (running, jogging, walking, strolling) the 3 miles of Color Run course, they can absolutely do the COLOR RUN!

deanna said...

I'm about to do this run in San Francisco and am bringing my 3 year old. I didn't want to push a bulky jogging stroller so was thinking him on a razor scooter is best. Have you done this race already? It doesn't say anything in the rules about if a tiny toddler scooter is allowed. In your experience do you think this would be allowed?