Monday, March 1, 2010

And the Countdown Begins

Only four days till we arrive in Orlando, Florida. And let me tell you, the excitement is building. There are so many things about this trip that have me excited I can hardly stand it, here is a list.


1) I get to meet some of the running moms who have help to make me the runner I am today.

2) I get to run in my first ½ marathon

3) I get to run in not one but two Disney races

4) I will run a 5k with my sister who is aiming to run the whole 5k for her first time ever

5) My daughter is running in the Disney kids races

6) My daughter gets to meet Mickey Mouse for the first time

7) I can get out of this winter hell for a week and defrost

8) I will get to visit family and friends in Miami for a week after the Disney festivities are over

Can you all see why I am so excited? I have already packed up my daughters things for the trip and have a mental note of what I am packing for myself, I am sure I will start the actual packing tomorrow.

With all the excitement of the trip I have not had much time to totally freak-out about the half marathon. Don’t get me wrong I am freaking out a little just not a total freak-out. I know I have done the miles and can run this, but my last long run went bad. I set out to do 8 miles and ended up at three. Not exactly as planned, but I know we all have bad runs right? My two long runs before that went so well I felt like I could do anything so this one bad one should not get me down or make me panic thinking that I am going to bonk at three miles. This is what I keep telling myself, and then that other little voice in my head says this was a sign, you did not train properly and those two great runs were just a fluke you can’t run 13 miles. I am wondering if this is how all runners start to feel before a race at a distance they have not done yet.

I guess with all the stuff going on and all the planning to try and see as many friends and family as I can in one little week, my head is just spinning and it should not surprise me I am a little worried about my race. I do feel better knowing that a couple of my running mama’s Anna and Jill will be running with me which really makes me feel much better about it. I know they will keep my spirits up and my legs moving.

I am curious though do you get like this; you know second guessing yourself before a big race? Or do you feel confident in your training and know you will Rock it?

TraceySig

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You are going to have a blast!! Thats pretty cool that your daughter is going to run too!
You had said that you hoped for a VBAC for your next babe and I would recommend the Birth Center in Topeka. We lived in Salina and drove because thats all I could find. After my awesome experience there I would drive the distance regardless!
Great luck to you on your race! You will do great and just have fun!

Aimee said...

Yay...you are going to have so much fun! I think it's so awesome that you're going to run in a 5K with your sister and that you're daughter is running too! I can't wait until my boys are old enough to run with me!

And, yes, I definitely second guess myself before any race that I have never done before. I wonder if I trained enough, put in enough miles, have my nutrition plan figured out so I don't puke! Everyone gets a little nervous before a big race. But, don't worry, you will do great! Just go out there, do your best, and have fun! :)

AM! said...

OMG! you are going to have SOOO much fun. With all of it. wow, talk about a memorable trip your about to embark on.
enjoy the ride....all if it! sooo great;-)

Tracey Kite said...

Thanks Angie, I am so excited. Thanks for the infor on the Birth Center in Topeka. I am going to check it out, it is a little far but it might be worth it.

Tracey Kite said...

Hi Aimee, my daughter is running in the kids races she is only 2 so it is like 100 meters. So far she loves running and always wants to go with me or race me. As long as she likes it I am going to keep encouraging it.
I am glad to know that I am not the only one that freaks out a little before a race.

Tracey Kite said...

Thanks Ann Marie, this is going to be a fun trip. Not only do I get to me the mom's but it is going home for me too so my excitement levels are up there.
I guess you will be feeling like this in a couple weeks getting ready for Hawaii!

RunnerDude said...

Hi Tracey! I'm so excited for you! You're going to have an awesome race! Looking forward to the race recap afterwards!